USB External Hard drive and Windows XP

Windows compatible hardware and devices support.
i_amlegend

USB External Hard drive and Windows XP

Post by i_amlegend » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:25 pm

I have two issues which are basically the same. I have an external USB hard drive that I connect to a computer running Windows XP. Windows USB driver recognizes the hard drive and shows the drive in Device Manager but Windows does not show the drive in Windows Explorer. A customer has a USB FALSH device that is recognized by the USB driver, but does not map to a disk in Windows Explorer. How do I get Windows to map an external USB device in Windows Explorer?

i-conica

Re: USB External Hard drive and Windows XP

Post by i-conica » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:27 pm

You might want to check in disk management and see if the system is seeing the drive and what drive letter is assigned - Windows tries to assign the next drive letter - even if it's already assigned to something. If you see the drive in Disk Management - then just assign it a different drive letter and it should be fine. Lirria. You have to assign a drive letter to this device, e.g. F, G, H This done by going into 'Control Panel' > 'Administrative Tools ' > 'Computer Management' > 'Disk Management' click on the USB drive and right click properties, there you assign a drive letter. When done the usb port comes alive and shows the drive. ============ If you are referring to not shown plugged in device, this is possible when there is a third party software restricting the use of any USB devices. Also, you have to make sure that the computer system has no setting that hides any plugged in devices.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Hardware and Devices”