Is laptop clusterring possible?

Request help with computer hardware and peripherals under Linux: installation, configuration, compatibility, etc
i_amlegend

Is laptop clusterring possible?

Post by i_amlegend » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:14 am

I am curious if I can cluster the two laptops I have available, by connecting them through wired ethernet. They are both running linux (antiX and Sabayon). If so, how is it done? I haven` t managed to foind clear instructions on the web. (I believe that it won `t be practical, I just want to experiment...

iambutaseeker

Re: Is laptop clusterring possible?

Post by iambutaseeker » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:16 am

well the fact that they are laptops is wholly irrelevant. Of course you can, but there are LOTS of different kinds of clustering. It's not a standard thing. http://www.squidoo.com/linux-clustering.

i017535

Post by i017535 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:19 am

A typical cluster uses special programs to share loads. They do not seem to be of any use to a typical user.

One of the old ways was to boot to Cluster knoppix or maybe Rocks cluster and set up some nodes. OpenMPI is one of the schemes.

Sun used to have a pretty neat way to share computers over any IP to solve some types of problems that could be split up into chunks. Oracle still has it available but it is not free.

If you mean cluster as in some type of ability to share resources like hard drive or such then yes. NFS is a common way to share data.

i020590

Post by i020590 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:21 am

You can create clusters with anything:
[Link Removed]

This looks like a good place to start:
[Link Removed]

i0null

Post by i0null » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:25 am

The only way to share cpu and ram is to use some cluster software. The software is only made for some very few applications that are not typical home use.

One way is that the programs have a way to cut up a bigger problem and send the parts off to be solved. When solved, the parts come back to be put back into the main problem.

The other way a cluster works is to take thousands of small projects and send them off to each node. Each small task is a completed work as opposed to the first example of one large problem.

See this maybe to start. It was one of the ones that seemed to work when I played with this.

i2ambler

Post by i2ambler » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:27 am

In some ways, yes, but laptops/notebooks tend to have much poorer cooling that desktops. So running laptops @ high load 24/7 the way that almost all folders do is risker with a laptop than a desktop.

Besides that, GPUs do more works than CPUs these days (*edit- as far as folding@home goes), laptops have weaker CPUs and GPUs, so even if the numbers of desktop and laptops running folding@home is similar, the desktops will be doing more work units.

Evenif you have gigabit, thats a 125MB/sec max speed. That is very slow compared to the internal busses in your computer.

While clustering can work in some situtions, its pretty much useless for normal use.

2 x dual cores with 2GB clustered will not preform like a quad core with 4GB.

i3rianl

Post by i3rianl » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:32 am

If these laptops had a craylink, you might be able to create a laptop that was twice as powerful.

kristopherlou

Post by kristopherlou » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:35 pm

It uses unique applications to discuss plenty. They do not seem to be of any use to a typical individual.One of the old methods was to start to Cluster knoppix or maybe Stones group and set up some nodes. OpenMPI is one of the techniques.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Hardware”