Sony Vaio and Linux

Request help for laptops, netbooks, minibooks, or any of the other smaller portable computers running Linux
i_amlegend

Sony Vaio and Linux

Post by i_amlegend » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:12 am

Hi:
I have a Intel i5 dual core processor,64 bit, turbo boost;1 GB AMD Radeon graphic's card; 500 GB HDD and 6 GB of Ram on this Vaio.

Sony put Windows 7 Home premium on the C drive.
Anyway; I've been accustomed to Ubuntu 10.04 and Debian Squeeze for the last 3 years. I'm not comfortable with this OS.

I'm thinking that I should wait the 30 days to put Linux on this however; I'm also thinking what good is this Vaio to me when I have to keep going and getting my roomate for help because she knows windows better than I.

What distribution of Linux can this Vaio accept?

If it was your laptop what would you do?

i-conica

Re: Sony Vaio and Linux

Post by i-conica » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:15 am

I appreciate all the feedback from all of you; Thanks for writing-

By the sound of what some of you have mentioned I might just return the laptop to Sony-
I don't want problems for the future.

Got some serious thinking to do. I have a small data base now that will help me to decide.

Sharing honestly helps; Thanks

i017535

Post by i017535 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:17 am

My wife has a 3 year old VAIO (dont know the model off hand) running Fedora17 just fine, without issues. At least it came with an Intel wifi card which work out of the box with Linux - unlike the Broadcom plague that seems to be on most others. If you like Ubuntu, just go for it now that it is new and you don't yet have too much personal data that you don't want to lose. Worst case, just reload Winblows with the recovery CD.

i020590

Post by i020590 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:22 am

It sounds solid enough.Give win 7 60 or 80 megs in case you want/need a m$ system (I find I use one a couple of times in a year), and install the distro of your choice, and configure it carefully & lovingly.I promoted myself to slackware, and haven't looked back. Less maintainance, I find.

i0null

Post by i0null » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:24 am

Thanks for sharing-
Anyway this laptop wasn't cheap; I paid close to Eight hundred and it's very nice.
Just a little discouraged because it requires 5 DVD+r's for the recovery. So;I just have to purchase additional
DVD+R's.

I had Ubuntu for 2 years and really liked it. Now I'm enjoying Debian Squeeze on my Desktop Pc.

What would the level of ease/difficulty be to put Fedora on this Sony Vaio?

I managed to install Debian; what do you think?

i18nde

Post by i18nde » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:26 am

I think it's solid as well-

Not sure how to give Win 60 or 80 Megs but I think during the install of the distro I wanna put on this Vaio I'll have the
opportunity to shrink Win and if not I should be able to dedicate 20 GB for the distro / and 1 GB for a swap-

Advice taken; to install carefully-

i2landscape

Post by i2landscape » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:28 am

The tools are ntfsresize, and gparted(I think).

ntfsresize resizes the ntfs partition. then you can cut disk space. I gave vista 35G and I'm always battling for the last bit of space there. I have a kid who boots it when he visits and it seems to update itself now, much to my annoyance.

i3rianl

Post by i3rianl » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:30 am

Mine is the SVE15xxxx Enhanced E series; Would that make any difference?
make any difference to what?
To whether you should try and install the Linux OS that you want to use? no. I'm not an expert on VAIO's, but I have pulled apart a few of them and there is nothing unique about them from any other laptop.
As mentioned earlier, just boot from a live CD or USB drive and see what works and what doesn't.
What would the level of ease/difficulty be to put Fedora on this Sony Vaio?
Very easy. Understand that Fedora has the latest/greatest of packages and as such is considered a "testing" platform. I find it stable enough for my daily uses, but features do come and go as things get worked out. If you are not in support, I would stay with more tested distro's like Ubuntu.
I managed to install Debian; what do you think?
If that works for you then roll with it. I use Red Hat based distros because supporting RHEL servers is part of my job, so I like to keep close to what they are doing. Plenty of Debian folks out there and at the end of the day, aside from syntax differences, they all work basically the same under-the-covers.

i6shot

Post by i6shot » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:35 am

while it will work the those tools (GParted is by the way able to make use of ntfsresize, you don't have to invoke it manually)I personally prefer to use the windows partition manager to shrink the windows partition.

iagudo

Post by iagudo » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:37 am

hen either windows has decided to turn on automatic updates itself (I know, but I've herd of that happening before) or he's turned on automatic updates manually.

Not hard to change it back to what is IMO the sanest setting- "Check for updates but let me choose whether to downlaod and install them".

Originally Posted by Ztcoracat View Post
I'm not in favor of the Vista nor Win 7 upadates either.
Agreed; can be annoying
Updates are less annoying than leaving some security hole and getting hacked.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Laptops / Netbooks / Minibooks”