wm player has Anybody been able to install it on linux?

Help requests for Wine - open source software that allows many Windows applications to run on Linux / Unix
i6shot

wm player has Anybody been able to install it on linux?

Post by i6shot » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:01 am

Hi all,

Need some help installing Windows Media Player on my Ubuntu Hardy 8.04.

I have wine 1.3 installed hoping that this would emulate windows but doesn´t work.

I have smplayer , vlc and gecko but these don´t work either.

A big Thankyou to any of you guys who can guide me through step-by-step.

iadoreafedora

Re: wm player has Anybody been able to install it on linux?

Post by iadoreafedora » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:03 am

Hi and welcome. I've not tried WMP under Linux with wine as there are many great Linux media players available. When you say, "I have smplayer , vlc and gecko but these don´t work either," how is it they aren't working? Do you have sound at all? If not, did you at one time? Perhaps you simply need to unmute something. Have you opened the sound utility in your menu and checked it over? I highly recommend upgrading to Ubuntu current which will likely fix this for you with a Linux player. 8.04 is getting ancient.

iadubber

Post by iadubber » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:07 am

You can use mplayer, "apt-cache search mplayer"
mplayer - movie player for Unix-like systems
mplayer-dbg - debugging symbols for MPlayer
mplayer-doc - documentation for MPlayer
mplayer-gui - movie player for Unix-like systems
mplayer2 - next generation movie player for Unix-like systems.

iafaneh

Post by iafaneh » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:09 am

I don't have any need for WMP but for some of my other I spent $60 on Crossover and have had great success with it for windoze software. Once you purchase you can download both the 32bit and the 64bit and load them on all your personal units. You might go over there and check it out.

iafmanoj

Post by iafmanoj » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:11 am

I am on 12.04 and I just installed vlc which plays .wmv files, same for mplayer.
apt-get install install vlc vlc-data vlc-plugin-zvbi x264 vlc-plugin-pulse

iageoscience

Post by iageoscience » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:12 am

You should try "VLC media player - Video player and streamer" straight in Linux or installed in a Widows install.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/]VideoLA...deo framework!

i-conica

Post by i-conica » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:14 am

This is what I have been trying to install. I have the icon on my desktop but when I go click on it nothing happens.

It´s in the Applications Menu > Games > PlayonLinux, but damn, nothing happens.

It´s loaded into the repositories so I can´t figure.

iagudo

Post by iagudo » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:15 am

I gave the crossover a try and it works. WMP works but codecs are really bad - no flv, mp4, h264 etc. I saw the k-lite and downloaded it but have no idea where it goes.

I saw WMP Classic on there but it doesn`t work. I go to one of my drives , say hd1 and press enter and nothing happens. Tried many times !

I thought great , k-lite and with this media player - but nop.

Would really like to know where that codec pack goes though.

Any ideas ? and yes I know 8.04 is ancient but I like it and is reliable enough.

iahaining

Post by iahaining » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:17 am

I notice you are trying to install PlayOnLinux in Ubuntu 8.04. According to the Ubuntu site 8.04 reached its End Of Life on May 12th 2011 which means to say 8.04 is not updated or supported anymore. If you which to keep 8.04 you will have to look for a version of PlayOnLinux that is compatible with 8.04, (remember there were some big changes to Ubuntu starting from 10.04 and I don't mean User Interface wise). My advice to you is to upgrade your Ubuntu to 12.04, you may have to do that in two steps - from 8.04 to 10.04 then to 12.04. Try googling How To Quickly Upgrade From Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy To Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx that will help you from 8.04 to 10.04 . Good Luck and keep up with updating your Ubuntu version it will prevent those kinds of headaches.

iainlea

Post by iainlea » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:18 am

I guess I`ll have to update my OS to 12.04 ,although my OS is a closed OS it`s called 12.06 because it is specially tweaked for my Reelbox which is what I´m using.

If anybody is interested in it just tye Reelbox in the toolbar and you`ll see what I mean.

My thanks go out to all who helped.

Not too well at the moment so will leave it for the time being but will keep you all informed as to how things turn out.

Thanks again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Wine”